Just Call Me Alice
My love life is ruled by one emotion: fear. Usually
this manifests as dread and cramping in my lower intestines, causing me sleep plagued
by nightmares and days stormy with indigestion. This is a visceral prediction
of a dating crash and burn. As soon as I get that “bad feeling” I know it’s about to hit the fan.
It was easy to be a romantic growing up in the wilds
of Montana, all glorious in its rugged terrain and unpredictable weather. For
much of my life, home was a single-wide, falling-down trailer house in the
foothills overlooking the Boulder River. When the wind blew hard, as it often
did, the windows rattled and the structure swayed back and forth. I thought for
sure it would collapse around me.
When the temperature drops to nearly forty-below-zero
our nose hairs freeze, and the world grinds to a halt as batteries and
distributor caps seize. We trudge through feet of snow to play "Fox and
Geese," bundled into the standard winter uniform of the west: packs, long
johns, and full snow suits. We waddle back inside where our mothers wait with
hot chocolate, and underneath all that gear we are drenched with sweat, faces
flushed with cold and activity.
As the mountains thaw to spring, a wonderland of
beauty awakens from the frost. Wild flowers, shooting stars, violets, and rose
hips pepper the ground. Rivers run high, fish abound, and everything turns to
green. The wildlife give birth, and each new creature blesses the world with
its comical wobbly-kneed attempts at walking.
My best childhood friend and I chased geese down the
riverbank. We rode sheep. We bridled up “dude” horses and took off bareback
through fields behind their ranch. We were always aware that if one of us fell
off we would be walking back.
While I might feel like Sleeping Beauty in the enchanted forest, truthfully I’m more like Alice, tumbling clumsily down the rabbit hole. Every
chance at love and adventure brings the equally frightening possibility of
having my head forcibly removed.
This fear is one with which I am unfamiliar. I
suspect it is a side effect of caring about someone. If I didn’t care, it
wouldn’t make me so sad that days go by while my text messages go unanswered,
or that more and more I’m doing the initiating when it comes to phone calls. If
I did not care, I would not believe or accept the apologies and promises that
we’ll figure it out, and make it work, in time. I would not see beyond my own
selfish desire to have him all to myself and understand that his priorities are
right where they should be, even if I’m not at the top of them.
Yes, you may as well just call me Alice. Because I
am definitely lost in a land full of wonder, struggling to keep my head.


Comments
Post a Comment